Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mommy to Mom

It happens though we don't want it to. I'm talking about our kids and how they grow up. There are many processes that we are familiar with such as birthdays or the beginning of school. The one that no one warned me about is the transition from Mommy to Mom. It sounds like such a simple word, Mom, but man it really cuts right to the heart. The girl has been trying this new name for me on for size. When ever it slips out of her mouth I have to do a double take, who is this girl sitting with me? I say a little prayer, "Dear God please let me stay as Mommy just a bit longer." I'm not ready for the days of Mommy to be over. The days when friends matter just a little bit more than what "Mom" has said. Mommy used to rule the world, could do no wrong. Mom on the other hand is questioned, looked at like she's crazy and sometimes spoken back to!

Yes these slips from Mommy to Mom have me very nervous. I love being Mommy. I love being looked at like I'm her everything. I'm not ready to go from public hugs and kisses to a quick peck before anyone sees. So far she goes back to calling me Mommy so she's not quit ready either but, I guess I should prepare myself. I know the growing up has to happen and I'm pretty sure I'll never be used to it but for now at least I have the boy to continue with the "Mommy" portion of my life!

1 comment: