Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Discipline

If you have children then you know about discipline. I'm not going to preach about what you should or should not do because well, I have no idea. Sometimes I feel like I'm sinking when it comes to disciplining my kids. I have such great ideas and they work for....well about 5 minutes. I have tried everything from positive reinforcement, scoldings, time-outs, taking things away, grounding, and the list goes on.

Back to the 5 minute thing. Everything I do with my kids lasts for only 5 minutes and then they are no longer are affected. They sit in time-out, wait patiently then say "Mommy am I done yet?" Really???? They're not even upset! I've scolded them, they cry, stick out that cute bottom lip and promise never to do "it" again, then off to playing again like nothing every happened! I've grounded them in their rooms, they go up crying, it gets quiet and I find them sitting quietly reading or playing. Really???

On to the next attempt, finding their "Achilles heel" or the thing that affects them the most. Sure, I take away a toy they love for a little bit of time, they cry, then it's like that toy was never their favorite, they've got a new favorite...Really????

What's a mom to do? I want to raise kids that are respectful, follow the rules, and all around good kids. If I can't find some way to discipline them when they've gone off the path for a bit how will they learn? "Sigh..."

No comments:

Post a Comment