Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Are you there tooth fairy?

The girl had such a great birthday party. We had the family over, yummy food, drinks and just a plain good time. The girl ran around, played with friends, opened presents, ate pie and lost a tooth. Yep that's what I said, she lost her front right (her side) tooth. This tooth had been hanging on by a thread for about a week. Once it fell out she was instantly worried about what people would say or laugh at her. Daddy and I swooped in and did the wonderful parent thing. We consoled her, let her know that everyone looses their teeth and she looked adorable! We also told her that the tooth fairy was going to be very excited and leave her something wonderful.

We ushered her off to bed with stories of the tooth fairy and what she was going to get for that wonderful tooth. The girl and boy both slept in the basement with Grandma that night which was another exciting thing. Both children finally fell asleep.

WELL.... a few drinks later and it was morning. I woke up and wondered downstairs to start the coffee. You'll never guess what I found on my counter...an empty zip lock where the girl's tooth once sat. I couldn't move, I raced through my memory. Had we put the tooth under her pillow? Did my husband remember to leave money and take the tooth? I ran upstairs only to confirm my nightmare, he had not left money for the tooth. I then raced downstairs to the basement back into Grandma's room. I slowed, trying to act normal and excited to see what the tooth fairy had left. I found the girl in tears (what a crappy mom!). She was devastated that the tooth fairy had forgotten her. I then had to think of a story off the top of my head (not my forte). Maybe the tooth fairy had gotten confused when the girl wasn't in her own room. Maybe she had left a note. Since the rest of the house was still asleep I crept back upstairs, wrote a note with my left hand, and brought it down to my little teary eyed girl. She read the note and a smile crept across her face with a cute little hole in it. (Did you know the tooth fairy leaves notes?)

That night the tooth fairy made her appearance. The next morning a happy little girl came running down the stairs to show us what was left for her. Her daddy and I still felt awful about the previous morning but he we managed to skate by the mistake this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment