Sunday, February 27, 2011

It's begun...

The weather is beautiful so the family goes outside. Dad and Grandma work in the garage, mom works on the front garden and the kids head out to play with the neighborhood children. All the kids have been couped up in their houses for the winter and now they are released to get to know each other once again. Getting reacquainted can be tough for kids. As the mom I sit back and watch what is going on. (Sometimes I have trouble biting my tongue.) All ages play together for a little while. The pecking order has changed some. The older kids tolerate the younger ones for just a little bit. Everyone runs around like happy kids until they start breaking off into little groups. The older kids no longer want the little kids following them around. The younger kids break into smaller groups and feelings get hurt with some whispers and not wanting to play the same game. While we enjoy being outside and having our kids out with their friends this is just the beginning of all the "games" that these children "play." It's only been a few hours and I'm exhausted just from helping the kids "work out" their problems. Though I don't enjoy the cold weather of winter I must admit that sometimes it's much easier to just let the boy and girl play together in the basement where I can regulate what goes on. Outside with the other kids we have to let go and watch our kids giggles go to tears and back to giggles which can be a stressful time for us parents. Guess I'm going to have to suck it up and ride the ride of leading the kids down the right path. Would it be bad for me to whisper in their ears that mommy will always be here to wipe the tears and give the big hugs if they get their feeling hurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment